SuperSwizz Spiral Slicer Review

Disclosure: I got this product as part of an advertorial.

I had the opportunity to try the SuperSwizz Spriral Slicer for a review.

I received it the very next day I ordered it thanks to Amazon Prime. 


I really like the compact size, it is small enough to fit in my kitchen drawer. So I don't have to be worried about where I'm gonna place it in the kitchen before buying it ;)


The SuperSwizz Spiral Slicer has two julienne settings and it is ideal to make vegetable pastas. If you are looking for a low-carb alternative to pastas you should consider a product like this and make some zucchini and squash noodles. 


The product description mentions some vegetable that are great for the Spiral Slicer, I decided to try 3 of them: carrot, zucchini and potato.

The first day I tried the carrot and zucchini.


I didn't have luck with the carrot, it was too hard and this was all I could get. No string/noodle-like :( You could see the marks from the blades, but they didn't cut through. The blades weren't deep or strong enough to cut the carrots in strings. And the longest chunk was like less than an inch.


I was a bit disappointed. It didn't even look like shredded carrots.  


The Spiral Slicer works kind of like a pencil sharpener. You hold it with one hand, and with the other you twist the vegetable inside. When he vegetable length is not safe or comfortable for you to handle it, you use the cap. The cap have like little claws that will attach to the vegetable and make it stay in place while you twist to slice the last part of it.

I have never tried a product like this before, but in my opinion that is too much left out (about 3 inches long). 

Cleaning the carrot was a bit difficult, so I won't be slicing carrots again. And the plastic got stained instantly :(
(Left to Right) Carrot stuck in blades; What is left of the veggie; Where the cap was attached.
After my bad luck with the carrot I was so bummed I almost didn't do the zucchini, but guess what? I did it and it worked amazingly!

You can even appreciate the difference between the two different julienne sizes. 


The zucchini sliced so easily and smooth that it made me forget the mess I made with the carrot haha! 

The only thing I noticed was that I had to separate the strings manually when slicing with the smallest setting. I wish I didn't have to do that, but it wasn't a BIG deal.


A thing that I found curious was that the slicer also acted like a seeder. All the seeds in the middle of the zucchini came out looking like a spiral, really cool.

As the carrot, the zucchini had a pencil like core left that couldn't be sliced with the product, but you can do it by hand. 


And here you can see the difference between the carrot and the zucchini, big difference in appearance. And it was extremely difficult to slice the carrot, unlike the zucchini that was really easy and smooth.


Next, the potato.  After feeling so excited with the zucchini, I went back to a bit disappointed. I decided to slice the potato with the smaller julienne setting to make hash browns and it didn't sliced it entirely. I couldn't get "noodles/strands". I even tried to separate them by hand and I couldn't. The bigger julienne setting was a bit more successful, but you will need a really long and thin potato in order to get is sliced with the Spiral Slicer.

Please, see the photos.

It worked really great with the bigger julienne setting and I even made hash browns, but the other setting wasn't working for me. 

I think this is a good product, I love its compact size and that it is easy to use. I would recommend it if you are going to use zucchinis and summer squash ONLY, NOTHING else. For those it works AMAZING! At least my experience was that it only worked with soft vegetables, not with hard veggies like carrots, potatoes, etc… and I was satisfied with the outcome of the soft veggies, but bummed that I couldn't made the variety I was hoping to make. But I will definitely keep using it for my low carb zucchini "pastas! :)


I received one or more of the products mentioned above for free using Tomoson.com. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers.

 photo Signature_zps31c61f78.jpg

2 comments:

  1. If you Italian salad and zucchini pasta lover than use HGE Spiralizer which is sleek design and user friendly. It is a perfect tool for making meals for healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. These tips are really amazing. I appreciate it for sharing them.

    Vegetable Spiral Slicer

    ReplyDelete