Crema de Maiz

As a puerto rican my nana used to make hot cereal for breakfast every day. One of my favorites was Crema de Maiz (Yellow Corn Meal).

My nana was from a really poor family, which made her learn to cook with the most simple ingredients (and only few), yet she had the ability to develop the most flavorful food on earth! I always said: "The oldest the person, the better they cook!" (No offense mom!)

Crema de Maiz is really simple to make. It's been more than 2 years since the last time I had it. Thanks to my BFF, who sent me a bag because I haven't found the one I like here, now my son has the opportunity to taste a bit of my childhood too.



First add 2 cups of milk into a saucepan.


Measure 1 TBS of butter, 1/2 cup of sugar (the photo says 1/3 but I added more) and add it to the milk.


Turn the heat to medium/high.


Stir frequently so the sugar dissolves in the milk and doesn't burn. 


When the milk starts to boil, turn heat to low and…


… start adding 1/3 cup of corn meal, slowly, while stirring.


Keep stirring until the mix gets thick and kind of creamy.


Serve!


There are a lot of variations of Crema de Maiz. I like it simple as my nana taught me. My kid also loves it this way. You can vanilla while cooking it and top it with cinnamon after served.

What's your favorite hot cereal?

 photo Signature_zps31c61f78.jpg

1 comment:

  1. Yummy! Pinned! Thanks for being a part of our party. Please join us tonight at 7 pm. We love having you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete